- Say, Markham, come here a minute and tell me something. Did you ever hear of a name that sounded something like chickens? A man's... it doesn't have to be like chickens, though. Let's see. It might be fowl - no, that couldn't be it. Ducks, geese - what do you call them all? I mean in a bunch. Wait! Maybe it's poultry... something like poultry, maybe. Moultrie! David Moultrie!
- -- Joe Cardona
- -- Joe Cardona
Appearing in "The Living Joss"
- Kwa, the Living Joss (Barton Schofield; dies)
- Soy Foon (a Chinese merchant)
- Chon Look (a phony Buddhist)
- Koy Shan, the Mighty (a Chinese gangster; dies)
- Chun Shi, the Crafty (a Chinese gangster; dies)
- Hugo Urvin (suicide)
- Inspector Timothy Klein
- Detective Joe Cardona
- Detective Sergeant Markham
- Stanley, the chauffeur
- Richards, the valet (for the real Lamont Cranston)
- Conrad Beecham
- George Cubitt
- David Moultrie
- Dr. Ward Zelka
- Westley Hartnett (dies)
- Blaine Goodall (dies)
- New York City
- B. Jonas Office Building
- The Buddhist shrine of Chon Look (Chinatown)
- Union Club
- "The Devil's Whisper" (explosive paste)
Synopsis for "The Living Joss"
In some unknown abode, an insidious power dwelt. Who was the power? What was his mission? Only The Shadow, avenger of crime, was able to learn!
- Sanctum Books reprinted "The Living Joss" in The Shadow Double-Novel Reprint #51.
- Though The Shadow kills a few Chinese gangsters in the story, it is Detective Joe Cardona who kills Kwa, the Living Joss.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this publication!
- Discuss Shadow Magazine Vol 1 33 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Shadow Magazine series
Links and References