- The Shadow? I can only describe him as a shadow -- that came from nowhere and vanished into nothingness.
Appearing in "The Living Shadow"
- The Shadow (1st print appearance)
- The Shadow's Agents:
- Diamond Bert Farwell (as Loo Chow)
- English Johnny
- Birdie Crull
- Ezekiel Bingham
- Howard Burgess (dies)
- Steve Cronin
- Croaker (dies)
- Detective Joe Cardona (1st print appearance)
- Inspector John Malone
- Miss Carrington (Claude Fellows' secretary)
- Robert J. Scanlon (dies)
- Elbert Joyce
- Mr. Smithers
- New York City
- Long Island
- Holmwood Arms
- A Chinese Disk (coin)
- Girasol Ring
- Laidlow Jewels
- Taxi Cab
Synopsis for "The Living Shadow"
Aided by legman Harry Vincent and desk-man Claude Fellows, The Shadow follows a Chinese coin and a trail of dead men to an explosive final, swift and surprising... a headlong confrontation with one of the most cunning brains in gangland.
- Reprint history:
- Several characters introduced in this issue will appear again in future stories:
- The villain Diamond Bert Farwell returns in "The Chinese Disks." He also made a comic book appearance in The Shadow Annual #2 by DC Comics (1988).
- The villain Steve Cronin appears again in the next issue.
- The two gangsters, Spotter and Birdie Crull, will appear in the next few issues of Shadow Magazine. Birdie Crull shows up in issue three and Spotter in issues two and three.
- English Johnny, a mobster, is featured in The Shadow (1994 Movie) and the comic book adaptation by Dark Horse.
- Modest Stein's cover was reused from an earlier publication, Thrill Book (October 1, 1919).
- Walter B. Gibson's crime story, "The Green Light" was also published within. It was reprinted in The Shadow Double-Novel Reprint #46.
- Write your own review of this publication!
- Discuss Shadow Magazine Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Shadow Magazine series
Links and References