Joe Cardona is a good, honest cop who works for the New York City police force. He began his career as a detective, but was later promoted as a higher ranked acting inspector when Wainwright Barth took over as commissioner. He became a full fledged inspector soon after.
Though they work independently from one another, he and The Shadow are unspoken allies. Cardona understands the power of The Shadow. He knows that The Shadow prefers to shroud his work in darkness. He knows that the master sleuth will aid him in the future, so long as his mighty hand remains unknown.
During an investigation, any knowledge that Cardona learns is received as a tip-off from The Shadow. Often, The Shadow, disguised as Fritz the janitor, mops around Cardona's desk glancing at evidence, overhearing conversations or leaving clues.
Throughout his long career in law enforcement, Cardona has seen positive proof of The Shadow's prowess. In fact, he owes his life, not once, but several times, to The Shadow's intervention. The mention of such a personage in Cardona's reports always arouses the ire of Commissioner Weston.
For years, Cardona has worked alongside his longtime right-hand man, Sergeant Markham, who replaced his earlier predecessor, Detective Sergeant Mayhew.
Cardona is also a trusted friend of newspaper reporter, Clyde Burke, a Shadow agent. The Inspector often gives Burke inside information, and in turn, the reporter informs The Shadow with facts and knowledge about a case.
Powers and Abilities
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
- Though The Shadow has killed several foes in his fight against crime, it should be noted that Cardona has done the same, in the line of duty. Noted incidents include; Kwa, the Living Joss, Rook Hollister, a head mobster and cult leader and Courtney Renshell. He aids The Shadow by shooting henchman, Ding Luff. Commissioner Weston shot the master crook, Ludlow Rhyde. He and Commissioner Weston also supplied the bombardment of bullets which killed the Blur.
- Other shootings include; after the shootout in Townley's, Cardona shot one of Zimmer Funson's henchman, Hal. He and his squad blast away Five-Face's henchmen at an airport. Their shots riddled the three killers; Banker, Rickel and Zelber. Fleeing several police guns, Senor Alvarez Muyana was sprawled by a shot from Inspector Cardona. The Inspector "flays" a crooked barkeeper with bullets at the Club Cabana.
- Joe Cardona's favorite nephew, who had ambitions of being a railroad executive, was murdered outside the New York Police Department's jurisdiction. Nonetheless, Joe made personal plans to avenge his death. He succeeded in capturing the killer and sending him to the electric chair.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Joe Cardona (Street & Smith)
- Character Gallery: Joe Cardona (Street & Smith)
- Quotations by Joe Cardona (Street & Smith)
- Images that include Joe Cardona (Street & Smith)